Spiced Apple Pie !!!
I know it’s bad for you but , well they’re just too good. Simple to make and divine to eat. You can Make them Individually or as one large pie !
You can also use Gluten free pastry !
So lets get started…
- 1.5 kilos pink lady apples (about 6)
- I kilo Granny Smith apples (about 5)
- I lemon squeezed – fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 5 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Lebkuchen spice ( an assortment of ginger,corriander, cinnamin,staranise and nutmeg )
- 1/2teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- You can use Gluten free pastry as well :http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/23299/pie+pastry
- 1 sheet Shortcrust pastry poke with fork once in pan
- ! sheet Puff pastry poke top with fork to allow heat to leave
- 1/2 cup brewed Velvety vanilla chai tea
- 1 large egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Ice cream, cream or Coconut yogurt for serving
- Peel and core the apples; cut into 1-inch chunks. Add to a large, heavy pan and toss with the lemon juice. Stir in the cider, sugar, lebkuchen, vanilla, Chai and salt; cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the liquid reduces, 18 to 20 minutes. Lower the heat to medium and continue to cook, stirring frequently and breaking up half of the apple chunks, until the apples are tender and the mixture is thick, about 12 minutes more. Remove from the heat; let cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, position a rack and a baking sheet in the center of the oven and preheat to 180-200 .Line Pie tray with baking paper and shortcrust pastry and put in oven for 10 min take out . Let the pie shell sit at room temperature for 15 minutes; fill with the cooled apple mash . Gently pull the sides of the pie shell away from the pan, folding the dough about 2 inches over the filling and pinching together where necessary top with puff and press edges with a fork
- Brush the dough with the beaten egg. Bake until the crust is golden, 50 to 55 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature with the ice cream or simply add cream . Coconut Yogurt is amazing and a healthier option !!